Tuesday, November 2, 2010

pages 26-53

The author's main point of this selection is that kids who have background knowledge and facts already embedded in longterm memory are more able to learn new material more quickly. Moreover he states that, "...thinking critically and logically-are not possible without background knowledge". I really enjoyed reading this selection mostly because I agree with everything the author says. Facts are important. In reading we are always trying to "activate prior knowledge". In fact there is usually a lesson with that title in every vendor's reading textbook. I think having a grasp of facts is equally important in math. I don't believe there is anything wrong with memorizing the basic math facts. Right now there seems to be a trend in Inquiry Based Learning where student led discovery is the key. Well I am pretty tired of having fourth graders adding 2 and 7 with their fingers. I don't think there is anything wrong with some of the discovery learning when the facts are "mastered" but until that time we need to build background.

My question would be, "How do we build background knowledge in kids who don't have the opportunity to visit museums or go on vacations, etc.?" I have kids who have not even taken advantage of the opportunities here in Pierre much less the state or our country. Often times these kids are also the ones who are behind in reading and so providing them with books to read may not be a great option. I look forward to reading the rest of this book.

3 comments:

  1. Have you thought of having the students who have visited the museums and other great places creating a presentation to share with the students as a part of a show and tell session? I think that kids sharing with kids makes a better impact. I understand your dilemma as living here in the Black Hills it still amazes me how many students have not seen Mt. Rushmore or other popular attractions in the area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think to add to the point of this class, using technology is a great way to build that background knowledge. There are virtual museum tours online or just great images of items that could be found in specific museums.

    In my 3rd grade class we were reading a national geographic about Mars so I found a clip on the NASA website about the rovers that have explored it. The students had very little understanding of what a rover was until we watched the video and they actually got to see it in action.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of having kids bring in things to represent where they may have visited that no one else has. They could do a show and tell. You could even solicit guest speakers that could come to the classroom to share with them about different subjects or expertises.

    ReplyDelete